The City of Soldotna recently had a seat on the city council that became vacant, Seat B, which one application was received to fill the vacancy. The seat was previously filled by Tim Cashman.
Pamela Parker, owner of Everything Bagels in Soldotna, will go before the assembly on Thursday to once again try for a seat on the council. Parker ran against Dave Carey for Seat D in the municipal election back in October.
City Clerk Shellie Saner: “The current vacant seat, Seat B, was vacated when Tyson Cox was elected to KPB Assembly and resigned from City Council. Seat D was previously held by Tim Cashman, who chose not to run for reelection. Dave Carey was elected to Seat D, during the regular election in October.”
According to a memo from the council, one application for the City Council, Seat B vacancy was received. The applicant meet the requirements specified under city code and state statutes to serves as a member of the City Council.
This does not guarantee Parker the vacant seat on the council, according to the agenda they will be reviewing her application for a partial term.
Under the “Procedures for Selecting and Appointing a Qualified Person to Fill a Vacancy in the
Soldotna City Council” (approved by Council on January 24, 2017; revised on June 7, 2012), the
following steps are in order:
• Interview the candidate;
• Close the interview process to begin voting;
• Clerk will provide ballots which you will mark, fold and pass back to the clerk;
• The votes will be tallied and read into the record by the clerk;
• A successful candidate must receive three (3) votes;
• Close the voting process;
• Move to appoint the applicant who received at least (3) votes to Council Seat B;
• Clerk to administer oath to the selected applicant;
Successful applicant will take his/her seat on the dais.
The Soldotna City Council meeting will take place on Thursday at 6pm. For more details visit the City of Soldotna website.
Photo provided by: Alaska Small Business Development Center (Alaska SBDC) in Soldotna